RE: RFC: NAPI packet weighting patch

To: "Jon Mason" <jdmason@xxxxxxxxxx>, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: RFC: NAPI packet weighting patch
From: "Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:11:20 -0700
Cc: <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>, <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Williams, Mitch A" <mitch.a.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Venkatesan, Ganesh" <ganesh.venkatesan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I like this idea as well but I do an issue with it.  How would this
stack code find out that the weight is too high and pacekts are being
dropped (not being polled fast enough)?  It would have to check the
controller stats to see the error count increasing for some period.  I'm
not sure this is workable unless we have some sort of feedback which the
driver could send up (or set) saying that this is happening and the
dynamic weight code could take into acount.

Comments?

Cheers,
John