Re: Mystery packet killing tg3

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mystery packet killing tg3
From: Peter Buckingham <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 11:44:53 -0700
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andi Kleen wrote:
"David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

This usually means that there is some DMA corruption.
For example, some bug in the x86_64 IOMMU code or similar
causes a bogus DMA address to be fed to the tg3 or even
worse a DMA mapping is unmapped before tg3 is actually
done with it.

IOMMU code on x86-64 should be never active unless Stephen
used IOMMU_DEBUG or iommu=force.  THat is because the tg3
is a 64bit capable device and should always use bypass.

how is this detected? we have a board that is using a 32bit e1000 and we have to use iommu=force otherwise it doesn't do the right thing with > 4GB of RAM.

peter