IPsec performance

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IPsec performance
From: Miika Komu <miika@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:39:20 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi folks,

I compared TCP-over-NULL-ESP vs. plain-TCP throughput with "ttcp" tool and
obtained the following results:

Plain-TCP:      11 megabytes/s
NULL-ESP:       2.5 megabytes/s

Am I doing something wrong? I did the measurements by transferring a 100
megabyte file using vanilla 2.6.7 kernel and IPv6. Seems like my
results are inconsistent at least with measurements published by Linux

The main differences with the Linux Journal measurements are that I used a
significantly larger filesize and IPv6. So, I tried to run the same with
IPv4 and got similar results... any ideas?

Miika Komu              miika@xxxxxx