IPsec performance

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IPsec performance
From: Miika Komu <miika@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:39:20 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi folks,

I compared TCP-over-NULL-ESP vs. plain-TCP throughput with "ttcp" tool and
obtained the following results:

Plain-TCP:      11 megabytes/s
NULL-ESP:       2.5 megabytes/s

Am I doing something wrong? I did the measurements by transferring a 100
megabyte file using vanilla 2.6.7 kernel and IPv6. Seems like my
results are inconsistent at least with measurements published by Linux
Journal:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7840

The main differences with the Linux Journal measurements are that I used a
significantly larger filesize and IPv6. So, I tried to run the same with
IPv4 and got similar results... any ideas?

--
Miika Komu              miika@xxxxxx          http://www.iki.fi/miika/