Re: Linux support for RDMA (was: [Ksummit-2005-discuss] Summary of 2005

To: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux support for RDMA (was: [Ksummit-2005-discuss] Summary of 2005 Kernel Summit Proposed Topics)
From: jaganav@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 20:37:13 -0500
Cc: Roland Dreier <roland@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@xxxxxxxxx>, Dmitry Yusupov <dmitry_yus@xxxxxxxxx>, open-iscsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mpm@xxxxxxxxxxx, andrea@xxxxxxx, michaelc@xxxxxxxxxxx, James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ksummit-2005-discuss@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bmt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:13:39 -0500
> jaganav@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Quoting Roland Dreier <roland@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > I have to admit I don't know much about the TOE / RDMA/TCP / RNIC (or
> > > whatever you want to call it) world.  However I know that the large
> > > majority of InfiniBand use right now is running on Linux, and I hope
> > > the Linux community is willing to work with the IB community.
> > >

> > Just want to let everyone know know that we have started an opensource
> > effort (www.openrdma.org) for enablement of RNICs (RDMA enabled NICs).
> This
> > community has now come up with an architecture
> > (http://rdma.sourceforge.net/architecture.pdf) to build this support in
> Linux.
> > Would really appreciate if you review and provide any comments. We have
> just
> > started to hack but no code is available on this project yet.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Venkat
>
> OpenRdma is a misnomer, because as I read your architecture you are trying
> create a "kernel abstraction layer" for closed source vendor RDMA drivers.
> This will
> never be accepted,  please go back to the drawing board and figure out how to
> make
> real open source drivers.

First let me say that the purpose of this project is to
make the entire stack (with all of the enablement layers)
including the drivers opensourced.

The kernel abstraction layer will be built
around standards based (opengroup.org/icsc) RNIC-PI
interface and which allows the RNIC vendors to opensource
their drivers using that interface. BTW, RNIC-PI
interface is work-in-progress and the first draft
is targeted to be published soon.

Several RNIC adapter vendors, who contribute to the
openRDMA effort, are quite willing to opensource
their drivers through openRDMA project.

BTW, I understood why you got the impression
that the this is for closed source vendor drivers:
Our intention is not to allow the kernel verbs
provider code (kVP) to be private and that was
an error. Thanks for pointing this out
but we'll make this change soon.

Thanks
Venkat