Re: Network card driver problem (znb.o/tulip)

To: Kosta Todorovic <kostodo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network card driver problem (znb.o/tulip)
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:00:23 -0800
Cc: jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, tulip-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Kosta Todorovic wrote:
My company has recently purchased several ZNYX ZX274 network cards.
These cards are Four Channel, 10/100 PCI Adapters. They use Intel chipsets.

Unfortunately there exists no drivers for linux amd64 architecture.
There are 32bit drivers found at:
http://www.znyx.com/support/drivers/ZX374_drivers.htm but naturally
they wont compile under my amd64 system.

The driver itself is called znb.o and can be downloaded from ZNYX's
website. I spoke to support staff there but they told me they have
discontinued support and development for this series of cards.

The system I am running gentoo and have tried both 2.4.x and 2.6.x
kernels but no luck.

Unfortunately there is NO 64bit drivers available for ANY platform. not even MS.

Does anyone know of a customised znb.o driver built for amd64?
Is there any chance of anyone modifying the source code of the driver
to compile under a amd64 system?

I've noticed that "tulip" drivers get loaded as a module at boot time.
but they dont function correctly. (lets you start the device and
attach ips but cant talk through it)

Is there any variants of the tulip driver that will work for this?

Help much appreciated.

My personal opinion is that those NICs suck.  I never did get mine
to work.  I'd suggest getting a DFE-570tx if you can find it, or
perhaps a p430tx.  You can also get 4-port GigE NICs from Intel for
around $400 these days...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>