RE: ethtool -d no longer works for e1000

To: "Ben Greear" <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jon Mason" <jdmason@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ethtool -d no longer works for e1000
From: "cramerj" <cramerj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:35:47 -0800
Cc: "Ganesh Venkatesan" <ganesh.venkatesan@xxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Ah!  Yes, if you're running ethtool 1.8, then this was an issue (or
rather, an annoyance) in e1000.c where we would default to mac_type =
e1000_undefined for any newer hardware.  Continuous updates to this file
for every piece of hardware we released got old pretty quick.  We've
since changed the default mac_type to e1000_82543, which has a basic set
of registers that haven't changed with each hardware release.  And
although the e1000_82546 mac_type exists, it isn't yet being assigned to
the 82546GB hardware (again, see e1000.c), thus the error.

Long story short, an updated ethtool should do the trick.

Thanks,
-Jeb