Re: netif_rx packet dumping

To: hadi@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: netif_rx packet dumping
From: Baruch Even <baruch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:31:28 +0000
Cc: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>, Injong Rhee <rhee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Heffner <jheffner@xxxxxxx>, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Yee-Ting Li <Yee-Ting.Li@xxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
jamal wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 16:26, Baruch Even wrote:

NAPI was not used because it caused skews in the performance, I haven't tested it myself, just passing hearsay.

It will help to post on this list when such issues are noticed.
It could be a simple a driver bug: such a the one posted on by Lennert 2
days ago on e1000 NAPI - such a bug could have had serious repurcasions
on TCP because it sat on packets in DMA occasionally upto 2 seconds.
Seems like that bug has been sitting there for a long time.
What kernel version? What kind of skews?
Is it possible you tell this person to repeat the tests with 2.6.11?

I have asked around but there is no hard data to substantiate the claim at this time. And since then all tests were done non-NAPI style.

Kernel versions were probably 2.4.23 or some other 2.4 kernel.

Baruch