Interconnect virtual device?

To: "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Interconnect virtual device?
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:15:30 -0800
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

I am considering writing a kernel module to provide a very
simple virtual interface.  This interface would be attached
to another interface, and would not be directly associated with
hardware.  It can have IP addresses & routing tables, and in
almost every way appear to be a regular ethernet interface.

The idea is that when you tx on this virtual interface, it
will cause a packet to be received on another interface.  And,
when a packet is received on the interface, it will tx on the
other interface.

I believe I can use this to create some interesting effects with
routing and bridging on a limitted number of physical interfaces.

Comments?

Thanks,
Ben

--