RE: Intel and TOE in the news

To: Leonid Grossman <leonid.grossman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Intel and TOE in the news
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Feb 2005 12:11:20 -0500
Cc: "'Andi Kleen'" <ak@xxxxxx>, "'rick jones'" <rick.jones2@xxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, "'Alex Aizman'" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 11:52, Leonid Grossman wrote:

> WRT to the burst of packets related to the same flow - we are hoping to be
> able to collapse the burst into a single oversized frame and pass it to the
> stack, this way no or very minimal changes to the stack will be needed.
> There is enough intelligence on the NIC to do that efficiently, we just need
> to try and see how well this works.

Indeed, would be nice to see what you come up with. I think there may be
value in sending one huge chunk packet which itself is actually a
collection of several independet packets when you have a huge amount of
small packets. The benefit being you amortize the cost of DMA setup.
But then you may need to be able to break them down in the driver; is
this what you are talking about?

cheers,
jamal