Re: 2.6.10 dst cache overflow

To: "J. Simonetti" <jeroens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.10 dst cache overflow
From: David Coulson <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:44:02 -0500
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
J. Simonetti wrote:
I have a linux (Fedora core 3) based router. I does approximately 50Mbps
aggregated traffic. However once every week (approx) the router dies
with 'kernel: dst cache overflow' messages flooding syslog. I have
tracked it down to being an issue with the routing cache.

Funny this came up now - One of my core routers failed last night with the identical problem. The route cache was set to 131k routes, although I couldn't get a sh prompt on the box even once the switch ports were down... Had to sysrq-b it.

I'm running 2.6.11-rc1-bk8 right now on those boxes. 20ish day uptime until yesterday and handling around 12Mbit of traffic. 'route -Cn | wc -l' right now shows around 29k routes cached. I cranked the route cache up to 1m entries, but I figure that's probably excessive.

David

--
David J. Coulson
email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx