Re: 2.4.29, e100 and a WOL packet causes keventd going mad

To: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.4.29, e100 and a WOL packet causes keventd going mad
From: David Härdeman <david@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:18:49 +0100
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I experience the same problems as reported by Michael Gernoth when sending a WOL-packet to computer with a e100 NIC which is already powered on.

In my case, it's running kernel 2.6.8.1 and the NIC is identified by lspci as: 0000:02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
or numerically:
0000:02:08.0 0200: 8086:1050 (rev 02)

The symptoms is that kacpid starts using all the CPU time it can, a shutdown takes 5 - 10 minutes after I've done this (in contrast to 20 - 30 seconds when the machine is healthy).

Also, if I do a "shutdown -h" on the machine after sending a WOL packet when it's already powered up, it will shutdown and immediately start up again instead of powering off.

So, any suggestions on how to fix it?

Regards,
David

Please CC me on any replies.