Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6
From: "Jeremy M. Guthrie" <jeremy.guthrie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:24:19 -0600
Cc: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 21 January 2005 09:23 am, Robert Olsson wrote:
> We have to understand the GC details to 100% confident. Some time to digest
> and a may reboot help.
> I also mentioned routing without the route hash. No spinning in route
> hash and no GC but we trade this for doing a fib lookup for every packet.
> Jamal and I started to play with this at last OLS but it's only tested
> in lab sofar.
I'd like to hold off on that right now.  Things are running pretty good right
now.  I'm trying to get my hands on a 'test' system to run side-by-side with
the production system.  We go live Feb 1 with our app so I need to start
toning down some of the down time.

> For environments with small number of flows it's probably not a good idea
> Length of flows is of course also important. No idea about the result in
> your case.
>
> I have a patch:
>
> ftp:/robur.slu.se:/pub/Linux/net-development/preroute/preroute10.pat
>
> If you feel very brave you can test this. The files to monitor is
> /proc/net/softnet_stat this verify the new packet path.
>
> With rtstat (tot) should show all routed packets. The rate in pps
> we are able to achieve.
I actually think I could have our other test system ready early next week.
I'll let you know.

Have a good weekend.

Jeremy M. Guthrie        jeremy.guthrie@xxxxxxxxxx
Senior Network Engineer        Phone: 608-298-1061
Berbee                           Fax: 608-288-3007
5520 Research Park Drive         NOC: 608-298-1102
Madison, WI 53711