Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6
From: "Jeremy M. Guthrie" <jeremy.guthrie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:30:50 -0600
Cc: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>, Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 12 January 2005 04:22 pm, Robert Olsson wrote:
> Jeremy M. Guthrie writes:
>  > I am now getting some push back from the project manager on this
>  > performance problem.  I am wondering if you think faster CPUs will
>  > a)  help relieve the symptoms of this problem
>  > b)  not help because now we will hit a '# of routes in the route-cache'
>  > problem
>  > c)  or will help to a point till the # interrupts come back and bite us.
>
>  Back out the patch I sent.and have hardirq's to run RX-softirq as you
>  did before but something is very wrong. You didn't answer if there were
>  other load on the machine...
I have backed out.  As for the load, this box only does policy routing.  Any
other functions it performs are part of its automated system to download the
next days policy-routing config.

>  route-cache can probably be tuned you as have four times the linear seach
>  I see in one PIII system at 110 kpps w. production traffic.
How would I go about tuning that?

>  Of course the non-engineering solution is to buy more CPU... :-)
That is good to know.  This will help me calm the situation a bit.  8)

Jeremy M. Guthrie        jeremy.guthrie@xxxxxxxxxx
Senior Network Engineer        Phone: 608-298-1061
Berbee                           Fax: 608-288-3007
5520 Research Park Drive         NOC: 608-298-1102
Madison, WI 53711