Re: Network driver test suite?

To: Netdev <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network driver test suite?
From: David Hollis <dhollis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:43:41 -0500
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 17:10 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> David Hollis wrote:
> > Is there any kind of test suite (automated or list of tests) available
> > for testing Linux network drivers?  I'm completing the addition of a few
>

> No, but I would love to someone to write one!!!
>
>       Jeff (in a rare case of multi-exclamation-point use)

What kinds of things do you think should be tested?  What I can think of
in no particular order and certainly not complete:

Simple, standard ping remote host
pings with various crazy large packet sizes
mii-tool
ethtool, all of the various options.  Not all need to be supported
certainly, but there is a set of basic ones that really should be
Changing MTU to various sizes
Configuring VLANs and being able to send/recv traffic

What other types of things should be tested?

--
David Hollis <dhollis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>