Very slow change of IP in kernel (slow socket?).

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Very slow change of IP in kernel (slow socket?).
From: Andrea G Forte <andreaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:29:58 -0500
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

after some talking I decided to try again and post a specific thread for this problem. I noticed that when I change IP address for the same wireless card (since I am moving to a different subnet I need a new IP), the actual change in the kernel happens between 300 to 500 ms later. In particular, after changing the IP (ip route add...) and updating route table and default gw, the actual data packets are sent using the new IP only after 300 to 500 ms after setting all the above. Does anyone of you know what this could be related to? Or, does anyone of you know where in the kernel code I could start looking for some answers? I have already had some feedback with suggestions to look into the route_cache, however this does not seem to me as a route problem but more as a socket problem and perhaps some kind of timer that is set to refresh the socket info in the kernel.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks all,
Andrea