RE: The ultimate TOE design

To: <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jeff Garzik'" <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: The ultimate TOE design
From: "Leonid Grossman" <leonid.grossman@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:25:48 -0700
Cc: "'David S. Miller'" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <paul@xxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

In servers, both bottlenecks are there - if you look at the cost of TCP and
filesystem processing at 10GbE, CPU is a huge problem (and will be for
foreseeable future), even for fastest 64-bit systems.
I agree though that bus and memory are bigger issues, this is exactly the
reason for all these RDMA over Ethernet investments :-)
Anyways, did not mean to start an argument - with all the new CPU, bus and
HBA technologies coming to the market it will be another 18-24 months before
we know what works and what doesn't...
Leonid