Re: 2.6.9-rc1-bk11+ and 2.6.9-rc1-mm3,4 r8169: freeze during boot (FIX i

To: Hans-Frieder Vogt <hfvogt@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.9-rc1-bk11+ and 2.6.9-rc1-mm3,4 r8169: freeze during boot (FIX included)
From: Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:09:36 +0200
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hans-Frieder Vogt <hfvogt@xxxxxxxx> :
[...]
> Of course x86-64 has the address-space that enables >4GB RAM, and x86-64
> always supports DAC (as stated in include/asm-x86_64/pci.h), but I have
> currently only 1GB RAM, so, strictly speaking, DAC is not really necessary.

Worse than that: r8169 in 2.6.9-rc[1/2] does not advertise its ability to
DMA to high memory.

> Strange enough, the latest Realtek driver 2.2 does not even support DAC (only
> the lower 32 bit of the DMA-Addresses are written to the registers).
> Could it be that the Realtek driver does not support DAC for a good reason?
>
> Anyway, I will continue searching for the problem...

Can you simply try the attached patch with the network cable unplugged ?

It will not fix your issue but if the result & 0x08 != 0, you can probably
stop your testing for now as it will mean "known issue".

--
Ueimor