strange e1000 interface freeze

To: P@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: strange e1000 interface freeze
From: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:26:24 +0200
Cc: e1000-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
P@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
 > I've been able to reproduce an situation here
 > where the interface freezes on a platform
 > where a continuous stream of about 8000 packets
 > per second are being received. It usually takes

 > By lock up I mean that the interface records all packets
 > as fifo errors, and it receives only 1 interrupt every 2 seconds.
 > Note the other NAPI interface works fine (at about 7.5K interrupts/s).

 Weird. We had a problem with a e1000 in one particular PCI-slot were the
 NIC was dropping packets no other clues. Decreasing PCI-bus speed from 133
 to 100 MHz solved this problem. There are two chip revs. Anvik I and II.
 Anvik I had problems in some architectures from what I understood.

 Cheers.
                                                --ro