Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybe RLT-8139

To: Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybe RLT-8139 related)
From: Pasi Sjoholm <ptsjohol@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:19:33 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, H?ctor Mart?n <hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux-Kernel <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <brad@xxxxxxxxxx>, <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Francois Romieu wrote:

> > The first log file is with both patchs applied and the second one with one
> > little change to rx8139_rx() to show if it even goes to through
> >
> > "        while (netif_running(dev) && received < budget
> >                && (RTL_R8 (ChipCmd) & RxBufEmpty) == 0) {"-section.
> >
> > This was the change which I made.. so you can see in the second log file
> > that there won't be any of these messages after the driver has crashed.
> If you remove the "if (received > 0) {" test in r8139-10.patch and keep
> both patches applied, I assume you are back to a crash within 15min (instead
> of within 2min as suggested by the log), right ?

Hmm,

I removed "if (received > 0) {" and tested it something like 3 hours and
wasn't able to crash the driver. I will test it for couple more hours
tomorrow and if I'm not still able the crash it, we may have find some
sort of a solution.

I'm not sure yet if it's a good one because of that earlier crash I had.
I guess I will also test if

- read the interruption status word that the driver will ack before the
  actual processing is done;

has something to do it.

We'll see.. I'll get back to you tomorrow with more information.

--
Pasi Sjöholm