Re: [Fwd: pcmcia ether drivers can't be unloaded]

To: Russell King <rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: pcmcia ether drivers can't be unloaded]
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:54:19 -0700
Cc: jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, shemminger@xxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, greg@xxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:50:24 +0100
Russell King <rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 05:19:29PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> > I totally disagree.  This is a bogus argument for two reasons:
>
> You may disagree, that is your option.  However, facts are facts -
> this is how the PCMCIA layer currently works, and short of rewriting
> the whole damned thing it isn't going to change.  Sorry.

Stephen offered a solution, moving this stray refcount into a toplevel
pcmcia bus type object.  We are not constrained by how the PCMCIA layer
currently works, just as we were not constrained a year ago by how the
generic network device handling worked when it was totally broken in
this area.  We just fixed it instead of whining.