Re: [RFC] Wireless extensions rethink

To: Gertjan van Wingerde <gwingerde@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Wireless extensions rethink
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:52:37 -0700
Cc: "Feldman, Scott" <scott.feldman@xxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Gertjan van Wingerde wrote:
Hi Scott,

I was thinking along the same lines, however I was taking the ethtool
interface as the starting point (using a single ioctl for all wireless
operations). The private handlers would just have to be converted to
plain ioctls handled by the driver itself.

The attached patch can be used as a starting point for this.
It is not complete (not by far), but it shows the basic structure.
I've called the structure wlantool_ops, again using the example set by
ethtool.

Comments?

For what it's worth, I like the idea of using a single IOCTL similar
to ethtool...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>