Re: RFC: Network Device Driver Group proposal

To: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RFC: Network Device Driver Group proposal
From: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:39:19 -0700
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 24 May 2004 04:49:45 -0400
"
> OSLD wants to be the "center of gravity for all Linux related stuff". Well
> maybe OSDL can help us :)

OSDL does have the ability to host Special Interest Groups (SIG's).  There are
two existing SIG's one for security, and another for storage.  It would make
sense to have one for networking, as well. I held off proposing one because
Jeff and Dave to a good job and it would end up being more work for me
as the networking engineering contact at OSDL.

There are no membership restrictions for SIG's at OSDL, but there are some
rules (which are still being discussed). Mainly, they revolve around making
sure that everything is open, etc. There is a relationship back to the
existing working groups as well.  For example, the networking SIG would
be responsible for giving a response (positive or negative)
to any networking requirements that came out of the CGL/DCL/DTL initiatives.

So if Jeff (and/or Dave) want to have a networking SIG, I can get it started.
Probably there needs to be a strong reason to add more organization to a
already mostly functional process.