Re: Linux TCP implementation

To: "m k" <mk_26@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux TCP implementation
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:28:58 -0800
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
[ Post stuff like this to netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx or linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  most net developers do not read linux-kernel, thanks. ]

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:58:46 +0000
"m k" <mk_26@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       Also, if the snd_cwnd is maintained in terms of packets and
> snd_ssthresh
> and
> snd_cwnd_clamp is maintained in terms of bytes, how come the comparison
> between them.

All of the congestion variables are maintained in terms of packets.

The function you quote, tcp_cong_avoid(), determines if we increase
the congestion window exponentially (when snd_cwnd is less than or
equal to snd_ssthresh) or linearlly (when snd_cwnd is more than
snd_ssthresh).

This is bog-standard Van Jacobson congestion avoidance, nothing fancy.