Re: network delay simulation

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: network delay simulation
From: John Heffner <jheffner@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:37:59 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, David S. Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:10:58 -0800
> Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Probably "the cowboy way" would be to right a new net/scheduler to just
> > do FIFO delay.
> >
> > Any ideas/comments? Somebody have some code sitting in a drawer?
>
> Probably a packet scheduler would be my first choice, you could then even
> tag packets using classification and therefore delay differently for different
> flows.

One insight I had a while ago is that packet pacing and artificial delay
require a very similar mechanism.  I hacked something a while ago that did
this in a general way, though it had some problems and I never really
followed up on it.  Given the recent discussion of pacing on linux-net,
this might be something to think about.

  -John