Re: r8169, 2.6.2-rc2, Sager 4780 laptop

To: Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: r8169, 2.6.2-rc2, Sager 4780 laptop
From: bhartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:51:44 -0600 (CST)
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Okay, I patched using only the patches listed below.  These are actually
applied against 2.6.2-rc2, since I don't have 2.6.2-rc1 on hand at the
moment, and your patches still apply cleanly.

acpi=off
- RX - Pushed about a gig, averaging 8.2MB/sec.  Appeared to work ok.
- TX - Once I hit 642MB transfered (avg 8.9MB/sec), the system locked up
hard.

SMP off, acpi on
- TX - Hard lock at 307MB.

SMP off, acpi off
- TX - Hard lock at 345MB.

I'll try to investigate further tomorrow.  I have to go out of town
starting Thursday, and was hoping to have everything working by then.
Unfortunately, I have other problems to deal with as well (ati-drivers,
slmodem, etc).

Thanks

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Francois Romieu wrote:

> bhartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <bhartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
> [...]
> > Attached is a tar.gz containing the outputs you request in your README,
> > plus 'lspci -v' output and my .config for the kernel.  This data was
> > collected from a fresh 2.6.2-rc2 bootup, using your full set of 2.6.2-rc1
> > patches, manually doing a 'modprobe r8169' once booted up.  The system is
> > running a P4 with HT enabled, with an SMP kernel.
>
> There has been report of non-regression on non-SMP kernel with the following
> patches applied (2.6.2-rc1 serie):
> r8169-tx-index-overflow.patch
> r8169-dma-api-tx.patch
> r8169-dma-api-rx-buffers.patch
> r8169-dma-api-tx-buffers.patch
> r8169-rx_copybreak.patch
> r8169-mac-phy-version.patch
> r8169-init_one.patch
> r8169-timer.patch
> r8169-hw_start.patch
> r8169-intr_mask.patch
> r8169-suspend.patch
> r8169-endianness.patch
> r8169-getstats.patch
>
> Can you confirm that the driver behaves the same as the standard driver
> with a non-SMP enabled kernel ?
>
> Does it make a difference if you give an 'acpi=off' option at boot time ?
>
> r8169-addr-high.patch is not doing its job on amd64 so it is not suggested
> to use it at all.
>
> There is something broken wrt SMP and the r8169 patches: do not use both at
> the same time. I still have to find what happens here.
>
> --
> Ueimor

Bradley Hartin - bhartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Communications and Network Administrator
Straus-Frank Company