Re: [Bonding-devel] [BUG] kernel panic on ifconfig bond0 down

To: shmulik.hen@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Bonding-devel] [BUG] kernel panic on ifconfig bond0 down
From: Jay Vosburgh <fubar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:40:43 -0700
Cc: "Ned Bass" <bass6@xxxxxxxx>, bonding-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
>There was a bug in patch 8 of the cleanup set that left a dangling
>pointer in bond_release_all(). Definitely may bad for not announcing
>that (and removing the patch set from SFG ?). I was relying on the
>fact that people won't test it after I announced the set needs to be
>re-done after finding a potential bug in patch 5.
>
>I'm currently in the final stages of re-creating the set after
>implementing the bug fixes and doing some improvements resulting from
>internal code reviews. Perhaps this time I should publish it as an
>"experimental" patch set and give everyone a chance to try it out
>while our QA group grinds it to dust.

        I think there's still problems in the checked in code.  I did
my tests on 2.6.0-test5 plus 2.6.0-test5-bk2-netdrvr1, which doesn't
include the cleanup set, so there's at least one (potential sleep with
lock held in bond_mii_monitor()), possibly two, other bugs.  I'm
getting ready to do some tests with 2.4.23-pre4 to see what I find.

        -J

---
        -Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, fubar@xxxxxxxxxx