Re: [e1000 2.6 10/11] TxDescriptors -> 1024 default

To: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [e1000 2.6 10/11] TxDescriptors -> 1024 default
From: Ricardo C Gonzalez <ricardoz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:31:49 -0500
Cc: hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, "Feldman, Scott" <scott.feldman@xxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ben Greear worte:

>I have seen greater packets-per-second throughput when I increase the
TxDescriptor
>ring (and RxDescriptor ring) when using pktgen, which checks for enqueue
errors
>and re-queues as needed.  So, it could help the case where we are running
>at very high sustained speeds (or high packets-per-second rates).

This is exactly the type of test I run(TCP_STREAM tests at very high
sustained speeds). And I saw very good performance improvement when
increasing the TxDescriptors to at least 1024.

I run a network benchmark in this case the data I gathered was on 4 way,
1.45 Ghz systems,  running the benchmark on only one adapter per machine,
point-to-point.

regards,

***  ALWAYS THINK POSITIVE ***

Rick Gonzalez