Re: [e1000 2.6 10/11] TxDescriptors -> 1024 default

To: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [e1000 2.6 10/11] TxDescriptors -> 1024 default
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:12:19 -0700
Cc: jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, scott.feldman@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, ricardoz@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:45:55 -0700
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Erm, shouldn't the local machine back itself off if the various
> queues are full?  Some time back I looked through the code and it
> appeared to.  If not, I think it should.

Generic networking device queues drop when the overflow.

Whatever dev->tx_queue_len is set to, the device driver needs
to be prepared to be able to queue successfully.

Most people run into problems when they run stupid UDP applications
that send a stream of tinygrams (<~64 bytes).  The solutions are to
either fix the UDP app or restrict it's socket send buffer size.