Suggestion to Improve delivery to local destinations

To: linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Suggestion to Improve delivery to local destinations
From: "Narik Alatees" <yedok@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:03:58 -0700
Cc: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, davem@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Currently ip_route_output_slow() sets rth->u.dst.output = ip_output; And then there is this line in the same function:

if (flags & RTCF_LOCAL) {
               rth->u.dst.input = ip_local_deliver;
               rth->rt_spec_dst = fl.fl4_dst;
}

Basically what this means is that when the user calls skb->dst->output(), neighbour resolution would be implicitly performed. And at the time of actually sending an ARP request for link layer address the transmission is bypassed (due to the check in neigh_event_send()) and a dummy neighbour entry for the loopback device is constructured.

I propose that in the above code fragment rth->u.dst.output be changed to ip_dev_loopback_xmit() (much like what happens inside of ip_mc_output()). I think this would _significantly_ improve performance in the delivery-to-local-destination case. What do you think?

tx
yedok

<b>Get MSN 8</b> and help protect your children with advanced parental controls. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental