Re: TOE brain dump

To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TOE brain dump
From: Ingo Oeser <ingo.oeser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:36:06 +0200
Cc: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>, Werner Almesberger <werner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jeff,

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 03:08:52PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> So, fix the other end of the pipeline too, otherwise this fast network
> stuff is flashly but pointless.  If you want to serve up data from disk,
> then start creating PCI cards that have both Serial ATA and ethernet
> connectors on them :)  Cut out the middleman of the host CPU and host
> memory bus instead of offloading portions of TCP that do not need to be
> offloaded.

Exactly what I suggested: sys_ioroute()

"Providing generic pipelines and io routing as Linux service"
Msg-ID: <20030718134235.K639@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

on linux-kernel and linux-fsdevel

Be my guest.

I know, that you mean doing it in hardware, but you cannot
accelerate sth. which the kernel doesn't do ;-)

Regards

Ingo Oeser