Re: [bernie@xxxxxxxxxxx: Kernel 2.6 size increase]

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [bernie@xxxxxxxxxxx: Kernel 2.6 size increase]
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:09:01 -0700
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:06:58 +0100
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know you absolutely disliked Andi's patch to make the xfrm subsystem
> optional so we might need find other ways to make the code smaller
> on those systems that need it.

I'm willing to reconsider it.

So basically we'd have a CONFIG_NET_XFRM, and things like
AH/ESP/IPCOMP/AH6/ESP6/IPCOMP6 would say "select NET_XFRM"
in the Kconfig where they are selected.

Then when CONFIG_NET_XFRM is not set all the xfrm interfaces
called from non-ipsec non-xfrm source files get NOP versions.

Is this exactly what Andi's patch did?  Just send it on
so we can integrate this.

We actually lost a lot of code in other areas of the networking, for
example Andrew Morton and I made many bogus function inlines
undone because they made the code too large.