Re: question about linux tcp request queue handling

To: "Nivedita Singhvi" <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question about linux tcp request queue handling
From: "Paul Albrecht" <palbrecht@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:30:47 -0700
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "netdev" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nivedita Singhvi writes:

> Again, youre limiting the number of connnection requests
> that are allowed to wait in the *accept* queue, where
> we move to once we're ESTABLISHED.  You arent limiting
> a request sitting in the SYN queue.

This statement is inconsistent with the description of this scenario in
Steven's TCP/IP Illustrated.  Specifically, continuing the handshake in the
TCP layer, i.e., sending a syn/ack and moving to the syn_recd state, is
incorrect if the limit of the server's socket backlog would be exceeded.
How do you account for this discrepancy between linux and other
berkeley-derived implementations?