Re: Route cache performance under stress

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Route cache performance under stress
From: Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 15:10:25 +0200
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
"David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Although, I hope it's not "too similar" to what CEF does because
> undoubtedly Cisco has a bazillion patents in this area.

Most things in this area are patented, and the patents are extremely
fuzzy (e.g. policy-based routing with hierarchical sequence of
decisions has been patented countless times). 8-(

> This is actually an argument for coming up with out own algorithms
> without any knowledge of what CEF does or might do. :(

The branchless variant is not described in the IOS book, and I can't
tell if Cisco routers use it.  If this idea is really novel, we are in
pretty good shape because we no longer use trees, tries or whatever,
but a DFA. 8-)

Further parameters which could be tweaked is the kind of adjacency
information (where to store the L2 information, whether to include the
prefix length in the adjacency record etc.).