Re: NAPI-ized tulip patch against 2.4.20-rc1

To: Donald Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NAPI-ized tulip patch against 2.4.20-rc1
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:29:46 -0800
Cc: "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Ben Greear wrote:

Here's an update of the tulip-NAPI and skb-recycle patches.  I made some
changes to get it to compile and work when the RECYCLE define in skbuff.h
was not enabled.

I also got some test runs in.  Nothing really conclusive.

Test setup:  Phobos 4-port NIC in each P-IV 1.8Ghz machine 32/33 PCI bus.
Kernel 2.4.20-rc1 + my patches. NICs connected to each other over CX cables.
Sending 4k 1514 byte packets per second, send + receive. (48Mbps or so)
RX ring size is 1024 for all of these tests. No significant errors reported
by the driver.  I don't know where these dropped packets go..no counter
seems to be catching them.

I changed to use smaller packets 757 bytes long, and to send/receive twice
as many (8kpps).  Still running at 50Mbps or so.

rx-ring is 256, still using skb-recycling with 300 skb hotlist.

Out of 57 million sent, dropped about 24k packets.  I also see about
3k of Rx-Drops on each interface.  No other significant errors reported
by the driver....

Any ideas for what to try next?  What about upping the skb-hotlist to
1024 or so?  Maybe also pre-load it with buffers to make it less likely we'll
run low?  (Rx-Drops means it could not allocate a buffer, right?)

Enjoy,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>