Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

To: Dave Hansen <haveblue@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000
From: "Martin J. Bligh" <Martin.Bligh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:11:05 -0700
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, tcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, niv@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> No, no.  Bad Martin!  Throughput didn't drop, "Specweb compliance"
> dropped.   Those are two very, very different things.  I've found
> that the server can produce a lot more throughput, although it
> doesn't have the characteristics that Specweb considers compliant.
> Just have Troy enable mod-status and look at the throughput that
> Apache tells you that it is giving during a run.  _That_ is real
> throughput, not number of compliant connections.

By throughput I meant number of compliant connections, not bandwidth.
It may well be latency that's going out the window, rather than
bandwidth. Yes, I should use more precise terms ...

> _And_ NAPI is for receive only, right?  Also, my compliance drop
> occurs with the NAPI checkbox disabled.  There is something else
> in the new driver that causes our problems.

Not sure about that - I was told once that there were transmission
completion interrupts as well? What happens to those? Or am I
confused again ...

M.