Re: [Lse-tech] Re: (RFC): SKB Initialization

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, davem@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Lse-tech] Re: (RFC): SKB Initialization
From: "Mala Anand" <manand@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:04:05 -0500
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bill Hartner" <bhartner@xxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>I think the skbinit patch and recycling skbs are mutually exclusive.

>I would say they are more orthogonal than mutually exclusive.
>Although ou still need to prove that relocating the code actually helps in
>real life. On paper it looks good.
Troy Wilson (who works with me) posted SPECweb99 results using my
skbinit patch to lkml on Friday:
 http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0208.2/1470.html
I know you don't subscribe to lkml. Have you seen these results?
On Numa machine it showed around 3% improvement using SPECweb99.

Regards,
    Mala

   Mala Anand
   IBM Linux Technology Center - Kernel Performance
   E-mail:manand@xxxxxxxxxx
   http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linuxperf
   http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/linuxperf
   Phone:838-8088; Tie-line:678-8088