Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 23:08:09 -0700
Cc: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

David S. Miller wrote:

   From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 11:23:30 -0700
I need to account for packets on a per-session basis, where a
   session endpoint is a UDP port.  So, knowing global protocol numbers is
   good, but it is not very useful for the detailed accounting I
   need.

Why can't you just disable the other UDP services, and then there is
no question which UDP server/client is causing the drops.

I run multiple connections at once, so this is not a useful alternative.
My application is fairly unique, though people doing stuff like RTP and
other streaming UDP sessions may be interested in similar counters.

Every argument I hear is one out of lazyness.  And that is not a

Well, that pretty much finishes this discussion I guess.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>