Re: suggestion for routing code improvement

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: suggestion for routing code improvement
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:05:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Julian Anastasov wrote:

>       Hello,
>
> > If i am not mistaken zebra is now capable of using more tables as well.
>
>       Last time I checked it 6 months ago and today I don't see
> much progress on the web site but you can be right :)

hrm. Maybe its in their commercial version ;-<
Note how slow they are in updating it these days. Someone approached
me a while back with suggestions to join in forking (and liberate) Zebra
from the current (lack of) activity. My answer at the time is to put more
effort in Bird probably.

>       Yes, we can ping indirect nexthops, do layer 7 health checks,
> alter the nexthops' weights. Usually we don't demand such super
> job from a routing daemon, the things are mostly "do it yourself" :)

My sentiments exactly. Any such beast when written should be policy
driven. If i dont need layer 7 health checks as stimulus, then
dont use them. Other things would be remote SNMP queries etc.

cheers,
jamal