Re: ipv4.o module

To: Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ipv4.o module
From: Dominic Duval <dd@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 16:06:45 -0500
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Matti Aarnio wrote:

I recently spent some time working on the "modularization" of the ipv4 stack. More precisely, this allows anyone to boot the kernel without any ipv4 support (thus saving about 200k of RAM) and load a module implementing the TCP/IP stack latter on.

 Excellent.  I had plan to do that latter this spring, but
 like always, there are parallel developments.

 One of my goals is to rip the TCP and UDP into separate submodules,
 so that we can in fact load in TCP, UDP and preferred IP (4 and/or 6)
 layers.

Sure, that would be the next logical steps. The current patch is more a proof of concept than anything else. For example, something better could be done with ipv6, in fact I'm not even sure how the ipv6 module (and other sub-modules of ipv4) will react with all these modifications. I guess I'll need to expand the scope of the tests in the next few days.

Anyway, your goals seem to fit very well with our objectives, so please don't hesitate to keep in touch with me if you make any progress. I would be more than happy to help you out and add these features to our work.

You don't (yet) have 2.5.* diffs ?

Unfortunately, this patch is built so that we can easily modify the TCP/IP stack for a project involving the 2.4.17 Kernel. Therefore the primary goal for the time being is to make the 2.4.17 ipv4 modular. I haven't tried to apply the changes to 2.5.* yet, but it's on my todo list :)

Cheers,

--
Dominic Duval
Étudiant, Génie Informatique