Re: [patch] Link state reporting

To: Brad Hards <bhards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, vojtech@xxxxxxx, becker@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [patch] Link state reporting
From: David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:47:35 -0800
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
How about simpler reporting and labeling?
Specifically:

    - single header line, "interface status\n" (or none)
    - simpler status: "%s %s\n", dev->name and "up" or"down

Easier for programs to work with that way.  Example:
the "ifup" scripts for "usbnet" links would be simpler,
at least for the links that can detect peer presence.
(It's likely too much to change just now to tristate
status:  up, down, and "can't tell".)

Leading to an issue I've raised before:  don't we need
to see more active link state reporting too?  Along
the lines of running "/sbin/hotplug net up" (or down)
to report INTERFACE= going up or down.

- Dave