SyncPPP vs. ppp_synctty

To: "'linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx '" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SyncPPP vs. ppp_synctty
From: "Wikström, Mårten" <Marten.Wikstrom@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:44:50 +0200
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Is the use of syncppp discouraged in favour of ppp_generic?

Background:
I have an E1/T1 interface from SBE that ships with its own syncppp. This lacks some vital functions (e.g. IPv6, Multilink PPP), and this seems also be the case with the syncppp that ships with the kernel. I was thinking about implementing it myself, but then I found some old postings on the lkml suggesting that there was no use putting effort into it, since you should use ppp_generic instead. To me the ppp_generic and syncppp seem completely different and I am very confused right now. Should I update syncppp or try to hack the card driver to use generic ppp instead?

any clarifications appreciated.

BTW, which mailing list would have been most appropriate for this posting? I can't tell them apart. Sorry for crossposting.

/Mårten