Re: [patch] netconsole-2.4.10-B1

To: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch] netconsole-2.4.10-B1
From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 06:25:33 -0600
Cc: Kenneth Johansson <ken@xxxxxxxx>, <mingo@xxxxxxx>, "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Rik van Riel writes:
> Owww crap.  The majority of web traffic is _from_ the
> server _to_ the client. Same for ftp, realaudio, etc...
>
> In fact, usually the server is the _remote_ machine and
> the client is the _local_ machine. Anybody who believes
> in having the client remote and the server local should
> be shipped off to whereever the server is ;)

Let's see, with X, the server is local (at least, it's local to where
I've placed my ass) and the client is remote.

I usually think of "server" as the box that's running all the time,
providing a service to multiple clients. In this case, the netconsole
server should always be running, accepting log messages for
storage. The clients (which are transitory, otherwise netconsole
wouldn't be needed:-), initiate work for the server to do.

Face it, Ingo's use of "client" and "server" is contrary to accepted
usage. You can't finesse around it.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx