Re: Bad performance when using IPv4 and IPv6 together

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bad performance when using IPv4 and IPv6 together
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:44:23 -0300 (BRST)
Cc: Brad Chapman <kakadu_croc@xxxxxxxxx>, <d.robles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> 6bone has been found to survive routing problems in the underlying
> IPv4 structure used to interconnect IPv6 islands rather well so some
> people already (try to ...) rely on it.

I rely on it ;)

At times I have as much as 30% packet loss between two
hosts on ipv4, or the routing table entry in one of the
20 in-between hops is gone completely.

In these situations, ipv6 takes me to the other host
reliably. It's worth it having a partial mesh inside your
pTLA, trust me...

Rik
--
IA64: a worthy successor to i860.