Re: disabling tcp quickacks

To: samudrala@xxxxxxxxxx (Sridhar Samudrala)
Subject: Re: disabling tcp quickacks
From: Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:43:23 +0400 (MSD)
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

> * tcp_incr_quickack() gets called twice.(tcp_enter_quickack_mode() also
>   calls this routine)

Why twice? It is called each time when quickacks are required.

> * we enter quickack mode and reset pingpong even when user has
>   disabled quickacks by setting pingpong to 1.

User is not allowed disable or to force quickacks, when the opposite
behaviour is required by protocol. TCP_QUICKACK is _hint_ to use in the cases,
when kernel cannot predict further behaviour and user is able to give it.

Logically, this hint _must_ be invalidated by the next sent/received
packet.

> * Can this code be replaced with a simple call to tcp_ack_snd_check()?

What "this code"? :-)

Alexey