Re: select says I can read, but recvfrom hangs

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: select says I can read, but recvfrom hangs
From: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:51:05 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Marco Berizzi <pupilla@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
| From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>

| Is the affected machine a SMP box?

Marco, who is the person who can reproduce this problem, is going on
vacation.  I don't know if he'll be able to answer for 10 days :-(

Our error reporting machinery showed the following.

        + cat /proc/version
        Linux version 2.2.19 (root@darkstar) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Wed Jun 20 11:20:37 CEST 2001

If this were a vendor's pre-compiled kernel, this would tell us, but I
don't think that it helps with a kernel.org 2.2.19.

Our exploration of this bug has been hampered by our being six
timezones apart -- we only manage one mail exchange a day.  He is in
your timezone.

Thanks for looking at this,

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@xxxxxxxxxx  voice: +1 416 482-8253