Re: (usagi-users 00439) IPv6: Autoconfiguring routers

To: usagi-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: (usagi-users 00439) IPv6: Autoconfiguring routers
From: itojun@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:51:10 +0900
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Peter Bieringer <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
>If IP forwarding is enabled (e.g. router), _default route_ definitely
>should not be autoconfigured, but I see no reason why the announced prefix
>+ link-local suffix couldn't be combined to form one of the interface
>addresses (on routers, all interfaces additionally probably have manually
>assigned addresses too).

        RFC2462 talks about "host" autoconfiguration.  autoconfiguration
        of a router is outside of the scope of the document.  so i don't
        agree with you on "no reason why..." portion.

        btw, if all of your routers on the link is to be autoconfigured,
        how can you autoconfigure them??? :-)

>In FreeBSD Kame stack, sys/netinet6/nd6_rtr.c forwarding is only (apart
>from router solicitation considerations) considered in defrouter_select
>and defrtrlist_del functions.

        in KAME stack, the only legal combination is:
                accept_rtadv=0, forwarding=1    router
                accept_rtadv=1, forwarding=0    autoconfigured host
                accept_rtadv=0, forwarding=0    manually configured host

        1/1 combination is not prohibited, just for experimental purposes.
        we are not trying to promote configuration like 1/1.
        (netbsd /etc/rc.d/network prohibits 1/1).

itojun