Re: IPv6 & 2.2.17 + 2.4.0: autoconfiguration works only on bootup

To: Peter Bieringer <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPv6 & 2.2.17 + 2.4.0: autoconfiguration works only on bootup
From: Jacek Konieczny <jajcus@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 16:31:25 +0100
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 02:16:23PM +0100, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following scenario:
>
> Gateway (running radvd) [00:50:BF:06:B4:F5] and a client with one interface
> (forwarding disabled) [00:e0:18:90:92:05].
>
> Client boots, neigborhood detection works and take the given prefix from
> radvd to assign a global address for the one and only interface.
[...]
> But if I switch down and up the network (completly or only interface), the
> mechanism won't work:
[...]
> Happens with 2.2.17 and 2.4.0.
>
> Can someone reproduce this? Any hints?
I have reported this bug twice (AFAIR I have found it in 2.2.14 kernel).
And I have even sent a patch (which is apllied to PLD distributions'
kernel (used by many people here in poland) sice then) which fixes this.
The problem is, that "all-nodes" multicast address is added to interface
on its creation (eg. when module is loaded) and is removed, when
interface goes down. But it is not added again when interface goes up.
It is the most painful on machines which use DHCP for IPv4 address
allocation --- dhcpcd seems to put interface up and down on startup.

Greets,
        Jacek