Re: Still not sexy! (Re: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to dow

To: Rick Jones <raj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Still not sexy! (Re: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to dowith ECN)
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:45:59 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Ion Badulescu <ionut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>, lkml <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Rick Jones wrote:

> > ** I reported that there was also an oddity in throughput values,
> > unfortunately since no one (other than me) seems to have access
> > to a gige cards in the ZC list, nobody can confirm or disprove
> > what i posted. Here again as a reminder:
> >
> > Kernel     |  tput  | sender-CPU | receiver-CPU |
> > 2.4.0-pre3 | 99MB/s |   87%      |  23%         |
> > NSF        |        |            |              |
> > 2.4.0-pre3 | 86MB/s |   100%     |  17%         |
> > SF         |        |            |              |
> > 2.4.0-pre3 | 66.2   |   60%      |  11%         |
> > +ZC        | MB/s   |            |              |
> > 2.4.0-pre3 | 68     |   8%       |  8%          |
> > +ZC  SF    | MB/s   |            |              |
> >
> > Just ignore the CPU readings, focus on throughput. And could someone plese
> > post results?
>
> In the spirit of the socratic method :)

;->

> Is your gige card based on Alteon?

Yes, sir, it is. To be precise:

** Sender: SMP-PII-450Mhz, ASUS m/board; 3com version of acenic
- 1M version
** receiver: same hardware; acenic alteon card - 1M version

> How does ZC/SG change the nature of the packets presented to the NIC?

what do you mean? I am _sure_ you know how SG/ZC work. So i am suspecting
more than socratic view on life here. Could be influence from Aristotle;->

> How well does the NIC do with that changed nature?

Hard question to answer ;-> I havent done any analysis at that level

cheers,
jamal