Re: zerocopy changes in 3c59x.c

To: Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: zerocopy changes in 3c59x.c
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 05:04:37 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew Morton writes:
 > But why do this, rather than create new accounting fields?  Let
 > me guess: short-term thing, intended to be removed, didn't want
 > to hack the userspace tools?

Why add new fields when they are unnecessary?  What is hurt
by having these fields increment.

We can teach programs like ifconfig et al. that for
ethernet type interfaces, these fields have this
different meaning.  Currently, ifconfig will not even
display this statistic for ethernet type netdevices,
one has to go probing by hand to spot them from user
space.

If people are going to be really pedantic about this, then I'll
just kill this usage in the final patch I send to Linus.  But
I personally think it is not such a big deal and it will assist
with debugging.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@xxxxxxxxxx