Re: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1

To: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1
From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:48:32 +0100 (CET)
Cc: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxx>, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>, <riel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > We have already shown that the IO-plugging API sucks, I'm afraid.
> >
> > it might not be important to others, but we do hold one particular
> > SPECweb99 world record: on 2-way, 2 GB RAM, testing a load with a full
>
> And its real world value is exactly the same as the mindcraft NT
> values. Don't forget that.

( what you have not quoted is the part that says that the fileset is 9GB.
This is one of the busiest and most complex block-IO Linux systems i've
ever seen, this is why i quoted it - the talk was about block-IO
performance, and Stephen said that our block IO sucks. It used to suck,
but in 2.4, with the right patch from Jens, it doesnt suck anymore. )

        Ingo